Because of the unprecedented time we are in, the Walton County Republican Executive Committee has chartered a Subcommittee to help advise voters on local candidates for the offices of County Commissioner, Property Appraiser and School Board.
Several different criteria were used along with a questionnaire, pertinent to each position, and a straw poll conducted of the Executive Committee Members.
Those receiving a zero "0" grade chose not to participate in the questionnaire and did not acknowledge an involvement with a Republican affiliated organization.
County Commission District 1:
Lisa Johnson - A
Philip Cryar - C
Boots McCormick - 0
County Commission District 3:
Teddy Stewart - B+
Mike Barker - C-
County Commission District 5:
Tony Anderson - C
Vanessa Goodson - 0
Debbie Heard - 0
Gary Gregor - A
Sandra Carter - C+
Jeri Michie - A-
Marsha Winegarner - A-
We evaluated answers to these questions with the following criteria in mind: candidate qualifications, certification, charitable involvement, and active membership.
- What is your understanding of the Walton County customary use dispute and where do you stand on the existence of recreational customary use on beach front property? What is your opinion of the beach vending program?
- What is your opinion of Walton County’s road conditions and current traffic levels, and do they have an ability to effectively handle emergency equipment (police, fire, rescue)? How would you address South Walton’s traffic congestion, particularly on 30A? As South Walton continues to rapidly grow, how will you address the lack and need of available and affordable housing?
- What are the major infrastructure challenges in North Walton and how would you begin to solve them?
- What do you see as the biggest challenges with environmental and water remediation, land development, local zoning ordinance and building codes in Walton County? How would you address each of these issues?
- While it is important to recruit new business to Walton County, it is also critically important to retain and grow existing businesses. What does your recruitment and expansion plan look like?
- Do you support fiscal transparency on all revenues, allocations, and expenditures by all constitutional officers elected in Walton County? If so, how would you ensure citizens can access information about and provide feedback on any and all budgetary documents?
- What is your opinion of controlled open enrollment in the Walton County School District (WCSD)?
- How would you ensure the WCSD is successful in implementing a virtual school option for ALL students who elect to do so (challenging broadband issues/access to computers/teacher training)?
- Do you believe face coverings should be mandatory for all WCSD students who attend brick and mortar classes this school year? Why or why not?
- Do you support fiscal transparency on all revenues, allocations, and expenditures of the WCSB? If so, how would you ensure citizens can access information about and provide feedback on any and all budgetary documents?
- While Walton County must receive tax revenue, the need for accurate and fair assessment is critical. What could you do to save tax dollars?
- What changes, if any, do you intend to make to update and/or modernize this office?
- What are the keys to success in balancing cooperation with others and independent thinking when assessing property value?
- Do you support fiscal transparency on all revenues, allocations, and expenditures by the Property Appraiser’s office? If so, how would you ensure citizens can access information about and provide feedback on any and all budgetary documents?